Monday, January 22, 2007

January 22, 2007

Watched as my sons momma-botched haircut was finally laid to rest. I took Alex to Mark's new favorite barber shop. Yes, it's a BARBER SHOP. So Quaint. I went on a weekday in the morning, because everyone knows that most hair places are dead at that time. I walked in at about 10:30 in the morning and every single seat was taken, but one, including the waiting area. Every elderly man within a 5 mile radius was sitting in that room waiting for a hair cut, and every one of those heads turned and watched as this young woman and her 5 year old walked in. This was quite an experience. Just imagine a large hallway, with 4 barber chairs making up the entire length of the shop, and across from these chairs, just an arms reach away are about 10 "waiting chairs". This little place was just adorable! I felt like I walked in to a time machine. I saw old bottles of talc, straight razors and the neatest little old fashioned shaving cream dispensers ever. At one point it occoured to me that there was no chance this place had a credit card machine...thankfully I brought my check book. I went ahead and asked to be sure they accepted checks. The man says "yeah, we had a fancy dressed lady walk in one day and asked if we took Visa, I laughed and said, lady, have you looked around? We just discovered cash, up until now we used the barter system." This was pure entertainment. I listened to good ol boys talk about the weather, one man talking about what I can only guess must have been some sort of tractor award. I'm still confused about that one. Even Alex was entertained. I had to hush him once when an old man a few chairs down began to snore. What a trip. I was a little sad to leave only to discover I really did drive a minivan there, and the streets were, in fact, paved. I guess this wasn't a time machine afterall. Bummer.

Taekwando hurt today. Ashley is sure enjoyin this stuff though. She's very serious about it and most times, she's the only little voice you hear yell out "YES SIR!" She's got her Taekwando grunt/noise down too. Yaaaa!

The New 9+ million dollar Georgetown library is complete. It's gorgeous. The childrens area is about 4 times bigger than Leander's old library.

No comments: