Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sleep well sweeties

Twas the night before school days, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The backpacks were hung by the exit with care,
In hopes that school morning soon would be there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of school friends danced in their heads.
And me with my tissues, and daddy with his remote,
Had just settled down, for a short summers sleep...

Ok, so I don't have the time to actually finish this, afterall, the alarm will be sounding at 6:15 am and I do need my rest. However, I did want to post something on this quiet night. This is Alex's last night to lay in bed wondering what Kindergarten is all about. And Ashley's last night to wonder the same about middle school. It's so bittersweet. Both of my babies are growing up so fast, much faster than I had ever anticipated. But there's no stopping time, that's for certain. Ashley has her outfit picked out, and all the accessories to boot. Alex picked out his non matching outfit, which I promplty corrected. Their lunches are packed, I've explained to Alex how to open his thermos and how to open his milk carton, and how he can just raise his hand and ask if he needs help. He has my phone number memorized just in case. ***Sigh**** And now all he needs is one last momma bear hug and he'll be good to go for the ENTIRE day. I'm hoping tomorrow is ok for him. I know he'll be fine, but there's a small part of me that worries that he'll be lonesome and a little frightened in this brand new place. This is the same little guy who still asks to be held and cuddled and sleeps with his "cozy" every night. But, he IS a big boy now, right? And everything WILL be ok. It will, it really, really will. And if it doesn't feel ok, maybe his "cozy" and I will keep each other company while he's gone.

Ok, I'm going to bed now, where I can get lost in my book so I don't have to choke back anymore momma bear tears.

Oh please, please don't let me cry, please let me be strong.

No comments: