Friday, June 29, 2007

Consumerasaurus

I'm typically a label reader. When I grocery shop I try to compare calories, sodium, sugar, etc., as often as possible. Most days though, I have to admit, I'm rushing in, grabbing my goods and getting out as fast as possible. Lastnight I discovered that I've been in a rush when I've thrown Veggie Chips in my basket. After reading the label for the first time, I have to admit, I'm slightly irritated. The only reason they can call these colored potato chips "Veggie Chips" is because they contain tomato powder and spinich powder, which happen to be two of the last three ingredients. And keep reading the bag and you'll soon find that "We add spinach and tomato powder to some (did ya read that...some) of the chips for a delightful variety of genuine vegetable color and taste."

Ok, so lets move on to the nutrition facts. For giggles, lets compare them to Lays Original Potato Chips.

Serving Size is 1 oz for both products.
Lets hit the negatives for Lays first. Lays has 20 more calories per serving and 3 grams more fat. Veggie Chips have 1g more Protein and 1g more fiber. Move on to Sodium and Veggie Chips have a whopping 280mg of sodium vs. Lays' 180mg. That was a bit surprising to me. Even more surprising is the lack of vitamins and minerals in my "Veggie Chips". (Remember Potatos are considered veggies) The Vitamin section of Veggie Chips reads 0% all the way through, while Lays has at least some Vitamin C and E. We're also getting a little Iron, Thiamin, Niacin, B6, Phosphorus, and Magnesium by going with Lays.

Ok, so this isn't that big of a deal, because typically we aren't big chip eaters but dang it if I'm buying chips, from now on, I'm going straight for the good stuff.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks!! Those are the kind I've been buying recently too, in an effort to eat healthier. Dang it.

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! Love the photo!