Friday, August 24, 2007

The mind of a 5 year old

A few days ago, Alex and I were laying on the bed while he read "Whacky Jack" to me. This is a Phonics book about a little racoon that has a new baseball bat and glove and he's so excited to play baseball, but when he starts to play, he gets upset because he's never played before and of course, is not a good player. Daddy racoon asures him that with practice he will get better, and of course by the end of the book, he's no longer getting hit in the face with the ball, blah, blah, blah, you get the gist. So throughout the book there's colorful pictures of Father and Son Racoon walking around on two feet, fully clothed. Shortly after beginning the book Alex takes his time scanning the page before going on as he typically does. It's not uncommon for him to spend twice as much time looking at he pictures and talking about them than he does actually reading the book, and most of the time he has a keen obeservation to share.
Anyway, so Alex stops reading, stares at the page for a short period of time and says: "Oh momma, this book is sooooooo fiction."

I reply "Really? Now what gave you that clue?" (As I chuckle inside about the obvious answer. I mean we ARE reading a book about fully clothed racoons playing baseball)

Much to my surprise, my little 5 year old replies:
"Well momma, racoons are nocturnal and they wouldn't be playing baseball in the DAYTIME! They'd be sleeping, DUH!"

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I love it! My Miss E has always had an interest in nocturnal animals...how funny!
-jenn

Mollie said...

A too!!! Is it a 5 year old thing??

Denise said...

Yes, I guess it must be a 5 year old thing, Regan is ALWAYS telling me which animals are nocturnal!! So cute!!