Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Pass The Torch Tuesday



I've decided to take part in a new writing opportunity called Pass the Torch Tuesday. I ran across this amazing idea on a Blog recently and decided it would be a wonderful addition to my Blogging experience. Each Tuesday I will write about catching a child doing something good. By clicking on the picture above you can find more participants and their stories.

It's been a few weeks now, but this caught me so off guard that I have to share.
Ashley came home with an invitation to a sleepover a few weeks back. This party was highly anticipated and talked about regularly. The closer we got to the date, the more details her new friend "A", would share about the party plans. The sleepover now included a scavenger hunt at the mall, cash to spend at a store of their choice and a dinner out on the town. Way more fun than any 10 year old would expect to have at a Birthday party. The day of the party rolls around and my darling daughter walks in from school, and the first thing she says is, "Momma, can I invite two friends over to spend the night tonight?" WHAT?? What about "A"'s party? Is it cancelled? What's going on? She replies, "well, there are two girls in my class that are really shy and weren't invited to the party, and every other girl in the class was. So I was thinking that I could have them over here tonight instead." After I pick my jaw up off the floor, I say yes, give her a great big hug and tell her how proud I am of her for been so incredibly thoughtful of these two girls. Both girls show up, one after another, each loaded down with their Build-A-Bear dolls and all their accessories. After poking around, and asking more questions than I'm sure Ashley cared to answer, I later find out that Ashley told the girls that she was having a Build-A-Bear party, and they were invited.

Words can't even begin to describe how proud that made us. I've always known that I have a sweet girl, but never did I imagine that at 10 years old, she could have such a deep understand of what it means to have empathy for another human being.

4 comments:

Holly Schwendiman said...

Jamie that is awesome! I am constantly in awe of how GOOD our kids really are. This was a fantastic share!!

Hugs,
Holly
Holly's Corner

Stephanie Appleton said...

Wow! What a special girl! How sweet that was!

Kelly Curtis said...

What an outstanding girl! That was quite a sacrifice she made and it sounds like she took it all in stride -- like it was her duty to include those girls.

Very cool - and what a fantastic PTT post!

Thanks for joining us!

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a good heart your daughter has. I pray my two year old will grow up to be just like that! You have obviously trained her heart well.