Thursday, February 22, 2007

Read To Me Challenge Update


So far so good. I'm pleased to say that the challenge is proving to be a positive experience for our family, Daddy included! At dinner the other night, I announced my goals to everyone and told them about my plan for us to read aloud together. Mark is going to take over my goal of teaching Ashley about the newspaper. Although, I may need to listen in... he told her the most important part of the paper was the Best Buy ad. Uh oh. We can't forget the obits! I'm kidding, we'll just check those sections out FIRST. Back to our update...Each evening before bed we all grab a spot in the living room and take turns reading aloud. Right now we're reading Socks, by Beverly Cleary. This is a great book that the whole family is enjoying. Alex is really doing a good job paying attention, although I know it's tough at times with no pictures. I was concerned that he would become uninterested and wander off, but so far, he's hanging in there. I do try to summarize and ask him questions when we're done, just so I know he's paying attention, and if he's not, I try to get him interested by doing a brief recap. It's working. I'm so glad to have found this challenge and look forward to continuing this family time indefinitely. Now I need to begin the hunt for our next family book!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I mentioned this, but we really loved Mary Poppins--I think it would be perfect for both ages.

Mollie said...

Awesome! I need to know more about this. We read a lot around here but as you said, there is always room for more. Very cool that Alex is listening in. Alexis just recently got into 'big girl books'. She doesn't seem to mind about no real pictures. She just likes to show off reading by herself ;) Show-off like her Daddy!